The Data Migration Analyst will serve a vital role across the Programs team, assisting with the migration from Blackbaud Education Edge to Apricot, and will report directly to the Associate Director of Data & Evaluation. This position has the ability to turn data into information, information into insight, and insight into business decisions. Types of data covered will include student demographics, enrollment, academic performance, socioemotional metrics, and interactions with Fulfillment Fund staff. This position will be well versed in data manipulation, wrangling, and cleaning, with experience running, testing, and interpreting a variety of linear models. This position is responsible for conducting full lifecycle activities to include requirements analysis and design, develop analysis and reporting capabilities, and continuously monitor performance and quality control plans to identify improvements. We need someone who understands the bigger picture and can communicate with team members across the organization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of the Associate Director of Data & Evaluation)
- Develop and implement data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and data quality; acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases/data systems
- Conduct frequent data migration, manipulation, merging of large, complex data sets from a variety of sources
- Prepare data migration plans including migration risk, milestones, quality and business sign-off details for all current and future projects
- Work across multiple functional projects to understand data usage and implications for data migration
- Audit existing data systems and deployments and identify errors or areas for improvement
- Identifying, analyzing, and interpreting trends or patterns in complex data sets and provide ongoing reports
- Developing ad hoc briefings, charts, data visualizations, meeting materials, etc.
- Filter and “clean” data, and review computer reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems; translate data so that it can be effectively moved between systems, apps, or software; Ensure accuracy and integrity of analyses, both through rigorous data hygiene practices and by sense checking numbers and insights
- Be a champion for data integrity and relentlessly focus on building data systems that ensure accuracy
- Work closely with management to prioritize business and information needs
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
- Strategize and plan an entire project, including moving the data and converting content as necessary, while considering risks and potential impacts
- Test the new system after the migration process as well as the resulting data to find errors and/or points of corruption • Document everything from the strategies used to the exact migration processes put in place— including documenting any fixes or adjustments made
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and guidelines for all migrated data
- Perform source system data analysis in order to manage source to target data mapping
- Manage cross-program data assurance for physical data items in source and target systems.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven working experience as a data analyst
- Strong data quality and conversion experience.
- Proven ability to write, execute, and validate test plans.
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining, and segmentation techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with team members at various levels including business leaders.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyses, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong attention to detail in order to evaluate data for accuracy and errors.
- The ability to problem-solve under pressure and in complex situations.
- A methodical and logical approach to planning and organization.
- The ability to clearly communicate with team members.
- Excellent time management skills and a goal-oriented personality.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and skilled at multi-tasking
- Experience with Apricot, Blackbaud Education Edge Database and Microsoft preferred
Education and/or Experience: A bachelor’s degree with 3-5 years’ experience in data management and analysis. Preferred background in education, education policy, and/or program evaluation.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: A current California Driver’s License and current automobile insurance coverage.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, must be available to work irregular hours, shifts, weekends, holidays. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee will constantly work in indoor weather conditions and occasionally in outdoor weather conditions.
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.