“I have always been a firm believer that education is crucial to kids as they grow up. I felt by being a mentor, I could most directly impact a student’s life. The importance of support and guidance from an adult can never be understated.” – Frank Hsu, Fulfillment Fund Mentor
There’s nothing quite like a one-on-one relationship with someone who is excited about your future, and wants nothing more than for you to succeed. For hundreds of our students, that person has been their Fulfillment Fund mentor. By filling out a simple online application, you can get started on your journey to becoming a crucially important role model for a Los Angeles student.
Fulfillment Fund Mentor Checklist:
Before applying, please make sure you can check-off all of the items below.
- At least 24 years old
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
- Can commit to being matched with one student for a minimum of two years
- Able to meet with your student once per month, on their own schedule
- Be interested in empowering a student to get to college
- Open to learning more about yourself, your student, and new experiences
How to Apply:
- Complete our online application.
- Meet with a Fulfillment Fund staff member for an in-person interview.
- Attend our initial mentor training session, held one day each month.
- Complete a criminal background check and screening process.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Do I get any mentor training?
Yes! We make sure that our mentors feel prepared to have a productive and positive partnership with their future mentee – that’s why our initial mentor training session is so important. From there, mentors receiving continuous resources, newsletters and personal follow-ups to ensure they feel confident.
Q: How does the student/mentor matching process work?
Within two weeks of completing training, our mentor program staff will come together and explore the best student fit for you. These matches are personally put together by evaluating questionnaires and letters submitted by you and your future student. Every pairing is unique!
Q: What happens once I get matched with a student?
Fulfillment Fund’s mentor program staff will coordinate a matching meeting with you, your future student mentee and his/her parent or guardian at their home. This is a great way to get to know your student and meet their parent or guardian, and kick-off your next one-on-one meeting with your mentee. We’ll be there to facilitate the process! Your mentor program advisor will be there too, and they will be your case manager for the duration of your mentoring relationship.
For more information or to ask further questions, please contact Aldwin Escuadro, Director of Mentoring Programs at 323-900-8746.